Sunday 26 May 2013

52. Lakshmana followed suit.

        Lakshmana who had come there earlier with Rama, was listening the conversation between Seetha and Rama.  He could not contain his tears.  Being unable to bear the anguish, stooping down and tightly holding the feet of his brother with both his hands, he entreated Rama "Oh! My brother!  You cannot go to the forest unless I come with you. I, in front wearing the bow, shall accompany you to the forest.  With me, you will travel in various forests, resonant with sounds of birds and herds of wild animals.  Without you, I do not care the ascendancy to heaven nor desire immortality.  Sovereignty over all the worlds will absolutely have no meaning for me without you."
          Rama tried to dissuade Lakshmana from accompanying him to the forest  through many of his approaches.   After hearing them, Lakshmana retorted "Oh, the faultless man!  I was always accompanying you wherever you were going.   How is it that you are prohibiting me now?  I desire to know the reason for prohibiting me now?"  Thereafter Rama told Lakshmana  "You are so friendly, interested in righteousness, valiant, abiding always in a good path, dear to me as life, obedient, my brother and a companion.  If you come with me to the forest now, who will support Kausalya or the illustrious Sumitra?  That emperor of great splendour, who used to shower blessings on the people as a cloud sends down rain on the earth, stands circumscribed by the cord of love.  That Kaikeyi, daughter of the king Aswapathi, after getting a firm hold of this kingdom, will certainly not accord good treatment to her step-wives, who are in great grief.   Bharata, on acquiring the kingdom will be devoted to Kaikeyi and may not think of the sorrowful Kausalya or Sumitra.  You stay here and support the venerable Kausalya through your own self or by obtaining favour through the king. Thus, your devotion towards me will have been fully demonstrated by you.  By honouring the elders, a great unequaled religious merit will accrue to you.  Do this for my sake.   Our mothers will totally be drowned in their sorrow, if they are left behind by both of us."
           Lakshmana replied in a gentle voice  "Oh, Bro!   Bharata being inspired by your splendour of morality will respect Kausalya and Sumitra.  There is no doubt in this matter.  Kausalya obtained (by grant) one thousand villages, which are dependent on her.  Hence, that venerable Kausalya can maintain even a few thousand people like me.  The illustrious Kausalya is competent not only to maintain herself but also my mother and people like me in addition.  Make me your attendant.  In this, there is no unrighteousness.  Besides, I will be accomplishing my objective.  Your purpose also will be fulfilled.  Taking my bow and arrows and carrying a spade and a basket, I will walk in front of you showing the path.  I will procure for you for all the time the tubers, fruits and other things which are good food stuffs, available in the forest for sages.  You, along with Seetha enjoy yourselves on the mountain-ridges.  I shall do everything while you are waking or sleeping."
         Rama, very much delighted to hear these words, said "Oh, Lakshmana!  Go, take leave of all your friends.  At a grand sacrifice perfomed by Janaka, the Varuna(god of water) personally gave heavenly bows which are dreadful to look at, divine impenetrable pieces of armour, quivers containing an inexhaustible stock of arms, two swords decked with gold and with spotless lustre like that of a sun. All these were kept at the residence of our teacher Vasishta, after paying due reverence. Take all those arms and return soon."
         Lakshmana, who was assured of his sojourn in the forest, after bidding good bye to his friends, approached Vasishta the preceptor of Ikshvaku dynasty and took the excellent arms.  Lakshmana  showed Rama all those arms, which were divine, being worshiped and decorated by garlands.  Rama, after seeing the arms, affectionately spoke to Lakshmana "Oh, Lakshmana, my dear brother!  I  just thought of you and you are here.  Along with you, I want to give all this wealth belonging to me to brahmanas practicing austerities.  I also desire to give to those excellent brahmanas residing here as strong devotees to their preceptors and to all my dependents.  You bring quickly the venerable Suyagna, the son of Vasishta.  After adoring all other cultured brahmanas also, we will go to the forest."
=========================================================

No comments:

Post a Comment