Thursday 10 July 2014

179. Rama was curious about Sugreeva's knowledge of geography.

            Sugreeva in turn shouted at the search parties to search thoroughly and earnestly and also wished them good-luck. He felt very happy and relieved that he had now taken a suitable requital action for Rama.
         After seeing the last of the search party vanished from sight, Rama looking at Sugreeva curiously and asked him "My dear fellow, how come you know so well about the geography and also history of almost the entire earth?" 
           Sugreeva smiled and replied "I already told you that I took over the crown of Kiskindha on the assumption that my dear brother Vali was killed and subsequently he turned up and finding me on his throne he became highly furious and banished me and also threatened to kill me. As a consequence, I was made to run away rapidly, and during that fleeing I went on seeing diverse rivers, forests and cities. I have then really seen almost the entire earth. 
        "On going to eastern direction I saw various trees, enchanting mountains with caves, and also numerous lakes. There I saw the mountain wreathed in with various ores, namely Mt. Udaya, the Sun-Rise, and I have also seen the Milk Water Oceans which is forever an abode for apsaras. 
       "Then from that eastern direction I fled to southern direction, which is thick with Vindhya Range mountains and diverse trees, especially with sandalwood trees.
     "While I was seeing the interiors of forests and mountains again I was made to run by Vali, who was setting upon me from within the interiors of those forests and mountains, and then I reached the western direction. Such as I was, on seeing diverse cities and the  mountains Astagiri, Mt. Dusk etc.
          "As Vali did not relent, I went northwards to Himalayas, Mt. Meru, like that at the Northern Ocean.
        "Then I became tired of running around. At that point Hanuman told me about the curse of the maharishi Matanga. I, along with my followers, settled at the Mt. Rishyamuka. Oh, prince Rama, then Vali though reached Mt. Rishyamuka, he did not enter into its precincts because of the curse.
           "This is how I came to know about various places on this earth."
========================================================

1 comment:

  1. From what Sugreeva says about Vindhya range ( I fled to southern direction, which is thick with Vindhya Range mountains ), it appears Kishkinda was to the North of Vindhyas. If this is true, then that brings out the total fallacy in the assertions made by some Dravida Kazhaga/CNA follwoers that Valmiki depicted the Dravidians living in the south as monkeys and animals!

    ReplyDelete