Friday 30 January 2015

225. Hanuman decides to console Seetha in person.

             Hanuman was seeing and hearing everything about and around Seetha below that shimshupaa tree whereon he was perching. He did hear the dream of Trijata and the threatening words of the other female rakshashies. To him Seetha looked as a divine lady in the garden of Nandana. Hanuman felt very happy and gloating in his mind like "Which Seetha is being searched in all directions by many thousands and myriads of vanaras, the same Seetha has been found by ME and and ME only. I also achieved what my master  thoughtfully asked me  as a secret agent  to ascertain the enemy's strength. The characteristics of the rakshashas, this town and the power of the king of the rakshasas, Ravana, have also been perceived by me.
         "I now feel that it is proper for me to console the wife of Rama, desirous of seeing her husband who is compassionate towards all beings and who is of immeasurable might. I shall console this lady, whose face resembles a full moon, who is having an unforeseen affliction, who is tormented by grief and who is not attaining the end to her affliction. If I return without consoling this Seetha, the wife of Rama, whose mind is tormented by grief, my departure would certainly become blemished.
       "If I return to Kishkindha without meeting the illustrious princess Seetha, then she may give up her life. The mere knowledge that she had been found by an emissary of her dear husband will cheer her up and make her drop the idea of giving up her life. It is not proper to speak with her within the sight of these rakshasies. Then how indeed can I speak to her in peson? 
              "If I do not meet her before dawn,  she most likely will forsake her life. Rama is very likely to ask me whether I spoke to Seetha, and he will be disappointed with me if I tell him I didn't. But what can I say to Rama without speaking now to Seetha? To me returning in haste from here without carrying Seetha's message Rama will surely get irritated and burn me up with his pungent eyes.
        "Considering all the pros and cons, I feel that I must meet Seetha. Somehow I should contrive some means to meet Seetha without the knowledge of these ugly guards. I have the advantages of keeping myself small in stature, and I can speak Sanskrit, the human language, too.
        "If I speak Sanskrit language like a brahmin, Seetha will get frightened, thinking me as Ravana. Certainly, meaningful words of a human being are to be spoken by me. Otherwise, the virtuous Seetha cannot be consoled. Looking at my figure and the language, Seetha who was already frightened previously by the rakshasis, will get frightened again. Thereafter, this large-eyed Seetha, thinking me as Ravana who can assume any form at will, may shout loudly  out of fear.
        "Hearing  the shout a troop of female-rakshashis, wielding various kinds of weapons and appearing dreadful as Yama the Lord of Death, may assemble here. Then those ugly faced female-demons may encircle me from all sides and try to catch and kill me with all their might. To escape from them I have to resume my original form. Then, seeing me running hither and thither, seizing big branches, twigs and trunks of excellent trees, they may get alarmed with fear.
       "The ugly faced rakshashis will be frightened on seeing my huge figure wandering in the grove. Then those female-rakshashis may call their male counterparts.
        "Surrounded on all sides by them, I may not be able to reach the other shore of the great ocean. They may capture me. Then, Seetha may not be able to know who I was.  The violent minded rakshashis may kill this Seetha. That would be a total ruin.
      "Seetha is residing in this secret place, with a concealed access, surrounded by rakshasas and rakshasis and encircled by an ocean. If I am killed in the encounter or got captured, I do not see any one person for Rama who can do this work (of searching for Seetha). I do not see any other vanara who can go over the ocean with a breadth of one hundred yojanas, in case I am killed.
       "I am sure I will be able to overpower and kill more than a few thousands rakshashas. Afterwards I may not be left with any energy to cross over the other shore of the ocean. Considering all the pros and cons in this matter, I feel that it is not at all desirable to entangle in a tussle with the rakshashas.
          "If I do not talk with her then she (Seetha) is very likely to commit suicide. O! my God! I am unable to decide the next course of action. Please guide me."
          Then Hanuman prayed. Then he felt that his mind got cleared. He thought "If I eulogize Rama, who is unwearied in action and a good relation, I should not frighten her, whose mind is directed towards that relation. Offering auspicious and righteous words about Rama the most excellent prince of Ikshvaku dynasty who possesses a learned soul and myself speaking in a sweet voice, I shall make everything intelligible so that Seetha rightly believes everything."
           After deciding the next course of action, he (Hanuman) started to execute the same.
=========================================================

No comments:

Post a Comment