Thursday 19 February 2015

233. Hanuman gets a personal jewel from Seetha as proof.

         Hanuman was totally convinced with the explanation of Seetha for not agreeing to come with him to Rama. He told her "O Seetha, the beautiful princess! Whatever you said is befitting. It is in keeping with the nature and humility of a chaste woman. It is indeed not fit for a woman to mount on my back and traverse an extensive ocean, which is having a width of one hundred yojanas. Another reason you mentioned that you would not be touching any male other than Rama  also conforms your nature of a chaste wife as well as the wife of Rama. O princess! which other lady except you can speak such irrefutable arguments?
         "Madam! I will certainly inform Rama all that you have done and all that you have told me. O princess! Please let me explain why I suggested taking you on my back to Rama.  For a start I was very eager to do something good to Rama with whom I have developed great affection and devotion. Another reason is the unassailability of Lanka. And its great ocean is so difficult to cross by an army and I have the capability of crossing it alone or taking you. Because of my great respect and devotion towards you, I thought it to be a very good idea. Other than these I had no ulterior motive.
      "As you have explained to me that it was not a good idea to take you with me to Rama, I request you to give me something which will prove beyond any doubt that I actually met you. I may add that the same may be something Rama will recognize beyond any reasonable doubt."
             Seetha looked at Hanuman for a long moment and then smilingly said "Let me tell you a certain incident happened in the forest. It is known only to my lord Rama and me. When you tell this to Rama, he will know that you must have heard it only from me and that will be a sufficient proof that you have met me.
           "I happened at a place inhabited by sages at a hillock. It was bountiful with roots, fruits and water. In that place, while we were residing in a hermitage of sages, one day we were strolling in water in parts of groves with various kinds of flowers of perfume. My lord became wet and sat at my proximity for getting himself dried.
       "Then, a crow, yearning for meat, began to peck at me. Picking up a clod of earth, I dissuaded  the crow from its act. But it was pestering me by pecking at me again and again. While I was trying to drive away that bird, my skirt was slipping and I was pulling its string (so as to tighten it). I was seen by Rama then. He laughed.
        "I became very angry and feeling abashed for being laughed at. Chased by the crow, which was yearning for food, I sought shelter with him on his laps, feeling tired and angry. Seeing my angry face he consoled me with such words, which turned my anger to delight.
            "Then as I was tired I started sleeping on Rama's lap. In his turn, Rama slept, too.
    "Seeing us in this manner, the same crow, descending all of a sudden clawed me at the space between the breasts. I tried to drive it away. But the crow was persistent and it tore me up a lot. I started bleeding and blood drops fell on Rama causing him to wake up. Seeing me severely hurt on the breasts, he, hissing like an angry serpent asked me 'O Seetha! Who wounded you like this?' As I was very much wounded and in great pains I could not reply. Then, throwing a glance around, Rama saw that crow with its sharp claws moistened with blood sitting in front of us.
       "I came to know later that crow was the son of Indra, the Lord of celestials, staying in mountains and moving with the speed of wind. Then, taking a blade of Kusa grass from the ground, Rama set it on the crow. That grass turned into a Brahmashtra (a mythical weapon which deals with infallible destruction) and started chasing that crow in the sky.
        "Wherever the bird few the grass was chasing him.  Hanuman, my Rama's weapons do not hit or kill a running enemy. Trying to evade the weapon, the crow roamed all over the three worlds in search of a saviour. No one, including his dad, Indra was in a position to save him. Finally, as advised by some sages, it came back and sought refuge in Rama.
            "You know that Rama is very  compassionate and kind-hearted. He told the crow 'You know that once the Brahma-Astra is set on someone, it cannot be withdrawn without hitting the enemy or at least doing some physical harm to the enemy. Now you tell me what am I to do?'
        "Thereafter, that crow said 'Please make your arrow take my right eye.' Rama agreed. At the cost of its right eye in that way, the crow saved its life. After offering salutations to Rama the crow returned to its own abode.
          "O Hanuman! please convey my this appeal to my lord of the earth! 'For my sake you hurled a Brahma-Asthra even at a crow. Why are you forgiving the rakshash who has taken me away from you? O Rama, man par excellence! You, with great strength, annihilate this offender and bestow your mercy on me. O Lord! I, who has a protector in you, actually looks like one without any protector.
       " 'You yourself told me that kindness is the best righteousness. I know you a man having a great prowess, a great energy and a great strength. I know your non-acquiescence, imperturbability and profoundness.
        " 'O Rama! Even though you are strong, exceptionally skilled in archery and a truthful man, why are you not utilizing your arrows on these rakshashas here at Lanka? Neither the serpent-demons, nor the divine musicians nor the asuras nor the storm-gods are able to resist either you or your brother Lakshmana in battle. Why are you not showing any haste in my case and destroy the rakshashas with your sharp arrows?
      " 'If you have bidden Lakshmana, the tormentator of enemies, the mighty and the valiant man would have rescued me. Why you two tigers among men, with a sharpness equal to that of wind and fire, unconquerable by asuras too, are neglecting me? Have I committed any great sin, due to which  you two brothers, the tormentors of enemies, despite being capable, are neglecting me?' "
      Hearing the pitiable appeal of Seetha with tears, Hanuman consoled her with "O Seetha! Rama has grown averse to everything else, caused by the grief towards you. I swear it to you by truth. When Rama is overpowered by grief, Lakshmana too follows suit. O faultless Seetha! Somehow or other, you have been found by me. This is not the time to lament. Your will see the end of your sorrow within a short time. Those two mighty princes par excellence, are eager to see you and they will reduce Lanka to ashes.
       "O large-eyed Seetha! Killing the cruel Ravana along with his relatives in battle, Rama will take you back to his own abode. Tell me what to be expressed to Rama, the mighty Lakshmana, the splendorous Sugreeva and  the other vanaras assembled there."
          Seetha replied "On my behalf, salute by bowing your head and ask about the welfare of Rama, the Lord of the worlds, whom the magnanimous Kausalya gave birth. On my behalf, ask about the welfare of Lakshmana, that good child of Sumitra, who, having renounced the wreaths of flowers, all the riches, pleasant and beautiful girls and even the prosperity difficult to be obtained in this extensive world, offered his profound respects to and pacified his father and mother, followed Rama to exile.
     "Renouncing a great comfort, the righteous Lakshmana, acting in an affectionate manner towards Rama, followed him, watching over him in the forest. Lakshmana, who has broad shoulders like that of a lion, mighty-armed, steady-minded and having pleasant looks, behaves towards Rama as towards his father and looks to me as his own mother.
      "The valiant Lakshmana, on that day of occurrence, did not know that I was being taken away by Ravana. He serves elders. He possesses a splendour. Though capable, he does not talk much. He is the replica of the King Dasharatha, his father and my father-in-law. Lakshmana, the younger brother of Rama is the one who is dear to me always. That energetic Lakshmana carries out well whatever load of work is entrusted to him.
     "Seeing whom, Rama sees his deceased father, that Lakshmana is to be asked about his well-being, as my word and on my behalf. O Hanuman, you are the model for fulfilling this act of addressing him in such a way that Lakshmana, the mild, very-pure, clever and the darling of Rama may bring my sorrows to an end.
        "Please inform Rama that  I can hold my life for a month in anticipation of my rescue by him. I cannot survive after a month. I am telling you the truth."
      Then, taking the bright divine jewel meant for her head but tied in her garment, Seetha gave it to Hanuman, saying that it may be handed over to Rama. Taking that excellent jewel, the valiant Hanuman fitted it to his finger, since his arm (eventhough he had assumed his former tiny form), was too big for it.
         Receiving that jewel, Hanuman offered his salutation to Seetha, by engaging himself in circumambulation and stood aside with humbleness. Filled with a great delight, born out of Seetha's discovery by him, Hanuman mentally sought (the presence of) Rama but stood there with just his physical body.
         Taking that excellent and highly venerable jewel, worn by Seetha and by its influence felt shaken by a blast coming from the top of a huge mountain, Hanuman was mentally pleased and set out for crossing the ocean for his return journey.
==================================================

No comments:

Post a Comment