Monday 8 June 2015

274. Ravana rues about the curse of Brahma.

          Very concerned to hear the obsession of Ravana with that damsel Seetha, one Mahaparsva wanted very much to help his king by hook or crook. Suddenly he was hit with the obvious solution. With a smiling face he addressed his master "Your Majesty! It is common knowledge that only a fool, who after reaching a forest inhabited by wild beasts and vicious elephants and having duly found honey, does not drink it. As YOU  are the lord of all, whatever you decide and do are deemed correct, and no one will dare to question it.  I, therefore, suggest that your majesty act in the mode of a cock, forcibly take her. Enjoy that Seetha, by charging on her again and again and revel with her. Then I am sure she will not even turn in the direction where that human Rama is said to be. She will be your slave for ever. In case any problem arises we will take car of the same. When Kumbhakarna and Indrajit of great might are with us, we are capable of keeping off even Devendra. Overstepping the methods of giving away gifts or conciliation or even showing dissension being followed by right men, I like accomplishment of actions through hostile means. We shall make all your enemies reaching here to surrender, by the power of our weapons. There is no doubt about it."
            Hearing Mahaparsva, King Ravana nodded his heads in appreciation. A few moments latter he said "O, Mahaparsva! You must be a fool to have thought that such a course of action did not occur to me. I could not take such a recourse for a certain reason. It was about an unfortunate incident, which occurred to me long ago. Once I saw a celestial nymph, called Punjikasthala flashing like a flame, concealing herself in the sky and proceeding towards the abode of Brahma. I did with her exactly what you now suggested for  Seetha. Thereafter, appearing like a crumpled lotus, she went to the abode of Brahma and reported to him about me.  Brahama then called me and told "From today onwards, if you revel with any woman forcibly, then all your heads undoubtedly will break asunder into hundred pieces, each." That is the reason, my dear chap, I am not violently making Seetha, to mount on my bed forcibly. My swiftness is like that of an ocean. My movement is like that of a wind. Rama does not know this and hence he seems to be thinking of having an encounter with me. If not otherwise, who would dare to arouse me  as one would awaken a lion asleep, sitting at a place in a mountain cave or arouse into activity an enraged Yama? Rama did not see the arrows, looking like two tongued serpents, coming forth from me. That is why he is marching against me for a battle. I shall blaze up Rama summarily  with my arrows in hundreds resembling thunderbolts discharged from my bow, like tormenting an elephant with fire brands. Surrounded by great army, I shall take away that strength of Rama, as a rising sun at dawn takes away radiance of the stars. Even Devendra with thousand eyes or Varuna  can not conquer me in battle. Once upon a time, this city of Lanka ruled by Kubera was conquered by me with the power of my arms."
==================================================

No comments:

Post a Comment